Fun and Interesting Events and Things to Do in our West Valley for Sunday, February 10, 2013
Happy Chinese New Year! This year, the new year will be the year of the Snake, a Water Snake actually. The Chinese New Year is often referred to as the "Lunar New Year". Because at least three different years numbered 1 are now used by various scholars, making the year we call 2013 AD is the "Chinese Year" 4711, 4710, or 4650. On the Chinese Calendar, this year begins on February 10, 2013, and ends on January 30, 2014. So it’s time to enjoy Lion dances, fireworks, family gatherings and amazing meals, visiting with friends and relatives, giving red envelopes, and decorating with duilian. Let's Party like it's 4711, because it is! Could be a good year for the D-Backs too this being the year of the Snake and all!
Today is National Cream Cheese Brownie Day! We guarantee that if you bring homemade cream cheese brownies to work today, they'll be gone before lunch. That's because we will be waiting for you. With a fork and a glass of milk.
Today is also Umbrella Day! Brolly, gamp, parasol, bumbershoot - whatever you call it, umbrellas are made for one thing - protecting you from the elements. As you go out into the world today, don't forget your brolly! It might just save your look and your health.
· And, today in history, in 1840, Queen Victoria married Prince Albert.
- In 1862, a Union naval flotilla destroyed the bulk of the Confederate Mosquito Fleet in the Battle of Elizabeth City on the Pasquotank in North Carolina.
- In 1870 the YWCA was founded in New York City.
- In 1923, Texas Tech University was founded as Texas Technological College in Lubbock, Texas.
- In 1933, in round 13 of a boxing match at New York City’s Madison Square Garden, Primo Carnera knocked out Ernie Schaaf, killing him.
- In 1954, President Dwight Eisenhower warned against United States intervention in Vietnam.
- In 1962, captured American U2 spy-plane pilot Gary Powers was exchanged for captured Soviet spy Rudolf Abel.
- In 1967, the 25th Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified. It deals with succession to the Presidency and established procedures both for filling a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, as well as responding to Presidential disabilities. It supersedes the ambiguous wording of Article II, Section 1, Clause 6 of the Constitution, which does not expressly state whether the Vice President becomes the President, as opposed to an Acting President, if the President dies, resigns, is removed from office or is otherwise unable to discharge the powers of the presidency.
- In 1981, a fire at the Las Vegas Hilton hotel-casino kills eight and injures 198.
- In 1989, Ron Brown is elected chairman of the Democratic National Committee became the first African American to lead a major American political party.
- In 1996, the IBM supercomputer Deep Blue defeated Garry Kasparov, World Chess Champion, for the first time.
- In 1998, voters in Maine repeal a gay rights law passed in 1997 becoming the first State to abandon such a law.
- In 2005, in North Korea announced that it possessed nuclear weapons.
- In 2009, two communications satellites, America’s iridium 33 and Russia’s Kosmos-2251 collided in orbit, destroying both.
Here are some West Valley events for you to enjoy or explore for Sunday, February 10, 2013. These are the events we've selected for TODAY. To learn more just click on the highlighted text. Remember to always check with the events' organizers for last minute changes. We have more events posted on our 623Life Events Calendar. Check back regularly, we're constantly posting new events throughout the week.
Chinese New Year Begins All Day and Worldwide
Farmers Market Old Town Peoria 8:00am in Peoria
Litchfield Pk. Farmer's Market 8:30am in Peoria
Antique Tractor & Engine Show 9:00am in Glendale
Biltmore/Union Farmer's Market 12:00pm in Phoenix
Glendale Chocolate Affaire 12:00pm in Glendale
Family Fun Days 1:00pm in Peoria
Second Sunday in the Park 2:00pm in Surprise
Contact us at events@623Life.com to post your events with us. You can also post events yourself when you're a member of 623Life. Membership is free. On 623Life you can promote your services and products as well as feature your latest deals and specials. To start promoting your business, contact us at sales@623Life.com Thank you for continuing to share our weekly events newsletter with your family and friends.
And here is Quote of the Day from Ms. Magaly’s Blogs –
"We come this way but once. We can either tiptoe through life and hope that we get to death without being too badly bruised or we can live a full, complete life achieving our goals and realizing our wildest dreams."
- Bob Proctor